Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Therianthropy

5 posters

Go down

Therianthropy Empty Therianthropy

Post  azer Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:47 am

I just thought this was an interesting discussion, so:

"Therianthropy (from n. therianthrope and adj. therianthropic , part man and part beast, from the Greek theríon , θηρίον, meaning "wild animal" or "beast", and anthrōpos , άνθρωπος, meaning "human being") refers to the metamorphosis of humans into other animals. Therianthropes have long existed in mythology, appearing in ancient cave drawings such as the Sorcerer at Les Trois Frères.
The term therianthropy was used to refer to animal transformation folklore of Asia and Europe as early as 1901. Sometimes, "zoanthropy" is used instead of "therianthropy".

Therianthropy was also used to describe spiritual belief in animal transformation in 1915 and one source raises the possibility the term may have been used in the 16th century in criminal trials of suspected werewolves."

Jay's definition of the word is taken from an internet subculture that was started in 1992.
azer
azer
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

http://locker.palcs.org/~advtech/2009-2010/AEnsmenger/PAGE%201_E

Back to top Go down

Therianthropy Empty Re: Therianthropy

Post  eklipse13 Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:43 pm

Quote taken from Wikifur, the site for all things Furry and Therian (but mostly furry)

"Therians are people who believe that they are, in whole or in part, a non-human animal. That is to say that part of their core being is a non-human animal, be it spiritually, mentally, et cetera. Unlike furry lifestylers, therians do not necessarily try to outwardly project their animalistic nature, nor do they choose their animal side. They consider themselves to be an animal within, and do not generally give it a name, or use it as a game persona.
Therians do not agree on the cause of therianthropy--some believe they are animals reincarnated as humans, while others believe their soul itself is a hybrid--some feel instead that their therianthropy is completely psychological, and others feel it is metaphysical, but not of the soul. It has been said that if you ask 4 therians what therianthropy is, you will get 5 different answers. The one thing that remains constant is that all therians feel there is part of themselves that is non-human.
Therians may also be called shifters, though this can be a contentious term as a growing number feel they do not actually change from one state to another, but maintain an equilibium between human and animal nature at all times. Therians who do not shift are referred to as contherianthropes.
Terms such as 'lycan', 'garou', or 'lupine' are scorned in most parts of the therian community, because these terms derive from movies or games. 'Were', 'werewolf', 'were-creature', 'were-animal', or 'animal-kin' are reasonably well accepted, but 'therian' is the preferred term, at present. The term 'therian' is simply a short version of 'therianthrope', which means 'animal-man'."
eklipse13
eklipse13

Location : I am a figment of my own imagination, which is a floating entitiy in space.

http://eklipse13.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GoodUsername Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:38 pm

What exactly is being debated here? The definition of therianthropy, its effects, whether it's * ahem * insanity, or what?
GoodUsername
GoodUsername

http://nyeshnyesh.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jon Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:51 am

Well, I think insanity would be part of that definition. I thought the argument was about whether it was considered insanity (which is why I said to move it here). I think we all agree on the definitions (people who think they are animals inside) but, umm, what that means is up to you guys...
Jon
Jon
Lawful Evil
Lawful Evil

https://aicpolitickz.1forum.biz/

Back to top Go down

Post  azer Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:20 am

I was merely pointing out that Jay's definition of the word is not so much an official condition or definition of the word as something made by alt.horror.werewolves in 1992.
azer
azer
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

http://locker.palcs.org/~advtech/2009-2010/AEnsmenger/PAGE%201_E

Back to top Go down

Post  trickynik Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:24 pm

Okay?
trickynik
trickynik

Back to top Go down