My Book! (will slowly be updated)

Go down

My Book! (will slowly be updated)

Post  eklipse13 on Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:25 pm

I'm writing a book! I will be posting it on DeviantArt as it is slowly completed, but I will post it here as well.

It is currently untitled.

Here is the first chapter/prelude:

"Pa! Pa!" a small boy yelled as he ran down the bumped and pitted road. His bare feet did not even make the slightest sound as he sprinted towards a distant silhouette, the only evidence of his flight being small footprints and puffs of traveler's dust. His beaming smile broadened as he got closer to his father. The man, a tall, lumbering giant of a farmer, was carrying a large shovel, and leading the family horse, an old pony who was creased like a crumpled piece of paper.
"Pa!" the boy yelled again, laughing as his father dropped the shovel and lead line to swing his son around in the air. His deep chuckle reverberated through the child's bones. He held him close. The boy peeked over the masculine shoulder, and saw the horse take a step off the path. "Joey, silly horsy, don't run away!"
The man, seemingly without even taking a glance, instantly reached out and grabbed the old horse's lead line before it could wander off. He placed his son delicately on the horse (much to the child's delight), picked up his shovel, and continued down the path into the forest.
"We gots to get our butts 'ome before yo future mum makes dinner. She'll be awfully mad't us if we're late, won't she, son?" the father asked. The boy nodded, a very serious visage enveloping his face, contrasting the bright sparkle of his eyes. The image of the boy trying so hard caused his father to descend into fits of laughter, harder than before. After the fit subsided, he turned around to face the overgrown path between their house and the fields where he worked.
The going was hard, but routine. A couple of shovelfuls here to clear away a rotting tree, a couple of grunts there while pushing a large boulder off the path, a couple of rests everywhere to take a swig of the waterskin hanging off the saddle. He had done this many a time before. Eventually, they emerged from the shadowed grove to behold a dazzling view of River Valley, with the Gillian River flowing fast at the bottom like a snake hunting for prey. If they strained their vision, they could just make out a hint of their village around the bend of a rolling hill. He sighed, "Almost there." The father sounded like he was more reassuring himself rather than his son.
After travelling over a league from his fields, the pair finally made it to Bicksbridge, and their home. The usually bustling streets seemed awfully quiet, as if the entire population was at dinner at the same time, which never happened. The situation gave a ghostly effect to the scene. The only other person was a silent shadow on a horse wandering down a parallel street, paying no attention to the pair. The father stopped to peer into a dusty window.
"Wait 'ere, son. I found us a present for my girl's birthday!" After tying the horse to the customary post, and stressing his son to stay there (as he knew the son would), he entered the run-down shop. A sorry sight greeted him, at least what he could see with the dim light filtering through the dirty window. A pile of junk and papers was scattered across a low-lying table, organized in a pattern that only the orchestrator of the mess could see. The man walked over to the windowsill, and picked up the item of his search: a ruby rose brooch, the perfect hue to compliment his wife's hair. Thin gold wire outlined the delicate crystal petals, and thickened to become a spiral at the back of the piece. It seemed to be the only clean thing in the store. He angled it just so, and a bright flash of purified light fleeted around the room, illuminating various other items that would have been of interest if it were not for the jewel which he held. The item seemed so out of place with the rest of the store that it had almost a mystical halo of light around it.
"A beautiful thing, is it not?" an old voice croaked from the shadowed. The voice had a certain lilt to it, a seductive accent that was not quite of that village, or that land even, but was not so foreign as to be undecipherable to the ear. "It'll cost you a pretty penny if you wish to part it from me."
"I gots to 'ave this! It goes wit 'er hair, and it's 'er birthday morrow," the farmer said.
The voice chuckled. "A little late to be looking around now, isn't it?" The owner of the mysterious voice, equally as old as he sounded, stepped out into the rectangle of damp light. He was a hunched man, wearing a very poor looking jacket, and only a few gray wisps remained of what had once been a magnificent top.
"I been looking, and this is the only thang for 'er. She'll love it forever!" He held it up to the light again, admiring its beauty. Upon further investigation, he noticed that a liquid with floating particles seemed to be moving within the jewel, only adding an intense magical property to the already amazing gem.
"Hmm. Either you must really love her, or she is one beautiful lady," the old man said, seemingly without moving his lips at all.
"She's morth'n both of 'em."
"There was a time when I used to love blindly like that. I was a lord, and the world was my keep, along with what ladies I could find among the people. Ah, youthful folly." The shopkeeper looked away, as if staring into the past.
"This isn't like that. She's the most bee-ah-yoo-tee-full lady you'll ever see, and she loves me deep." The way he accented the "yoo" made him seem like a child, stupid even.
"Are you really sure of that? Or are you damned by love's remarkable ability to blind the human race of their sensibility?"
"I dunno what you mean, but 'tis perfect for 'er." The man looked delighted that he had found the brooch, and oblivious to what the old man was saying. "She'll finally love me now, an' we can live together fo' the rest of our lives," he said confidently, defying the old man and the world to deny his words.
"Hmm… Are you willing to give up what you truly love for this small trinket?" There was an ominous edge to the man's voice now. The farmer's visage of happiness faltered, a little disturbed with the turning of events. He opened his mouth, but no sound came out. He shook his head, then cleared his throat. He coughed, then masked his unease with a look of sheer determination.
"I'd soon as give up anyting fo' 'er love," he said a little shakily, but still with confidence and a deep passion.
The elder man paused, his eyes closed and brow furrowed. "It is done. That rose is now yours."
Really? Fo' free? Thanks fo' that, mister!" His look of pure joy returned.
The man had already turned back to the shadows, but when the father said this, he stopped, looked back, and mumbled, "It wasn't for free, just to clear things up."
A pang of panic rushed through the farmer. He slowly turned around to the door, his eyes wide and fearful, and shuffled towards it. Reaching out to the rusted handle, shaking like an epileptic, he cracked the door open. Looking outside, he saw his shovel, laying on the ground where he had left it, and old Joey, still tied to the post outside the shop. Something was wrong. It took him a few moments to catch it.
His son was gone.

Your local friendly dragon!
eklipse13

Location : I am a figment of my own imagination, which is a floating entitiy in space.

http://eklipse13.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Re: My Book! (will slowly be updated)

Post  azer on Sat May 01, 2010 8:52 pm

Wootness. Is this book set in an alternate Earth or a different fantasy world? The whole "Gem flower" thing kinda reminds me of Neil Gaiman's Stardust. It seems like this segment could stand by itself as a short morality tale.

I will post my own book as soon as I get around to writing it.
azer
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

http://locker.palcs.org/~advtech/2009-2010/AEnsmenger/PAGE%201_E

Back to top Go down

Post  eklipse13 on Sat May 01, 2010 9:14 pm

alternate earth, fantasy style. And I've never heard of Neil Gaiman or Stardust...

eklipse13

Location : I am a figment of my own imagination, which is a floating entitiy in space.

Back to top Go down

Post  Insanity on Sat May 01, 2010 9:50 pm

Oooooooh, awesome story so far! Looking forward to upcoming chapters!
Insanity
$p4mm3r
$p4mm3r

Back to top Go down

Post  azer on Tue May 04, 2010 9:37 pm

eklipse13 wrote:I've never heard of Neil Gaiman
\

*Shocked outrage* Haven't you ever heard of Coraline? Or Good Omens, the greatest collaboration that ever was?

for shame
azer
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

http://locker.palcs.org/~advtech/2009-2010/AEnsmenger/PAGE%201_E

Back to top Go down

Post  eklipse13 on Tue May 04, 2010 9:56 pm

I've heard of Coraline...

eklipse13

Back to top Go down

Post  Jon on Fri May 07, 2010 7:10 am

Neil Gaiman wrote Anansi Boys and Good Omens. I have never read the other one but I have seen the movie, and this story does very much remind me of it.

what is this I dont even dragon
Jon
Lawful Evil
Lawful Evil

http://aicpolitickz.1forum.biz/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down